Dept. of Libraries
200 NE 18th St
Land Records Service
Unlike most surveyed states, Oklahoma did not have a Surveyor General
appointed by the federal government. Therefore no central depository was
established for its original land survey records.
Rather, the Commissioner
of the General Land Office in Washington, D. C. directly administered
original surveys and awarded contracts to deputy surveyors who performed
actual surveying operations.
By 1907, most surveying was completed and
the original records transferred to Washington. Copies of many of the
field notes and township plats were subsequently deposited with the Bureau
of Indian Affairs and with the State Library. Thus, Oklahoma was left
without a complete set of survey records in a central location.
After years of effort by public officials and land surveyors in the state,
United States Senators Henry Bellmon and Dewey Bartlett succeeded in adding
a supplemental appropriation to the Department of Interiorís 1977-1978
budget to provide Oklahoma with copies of all original survey records.
Governor David L. Boren designated the State Archives as the official
repository for these survey materials.
At a meeting between Bureau of
Land Management officials, the Governorís staff, Department of Libraries
personnel and members of the Oklahoma
Society of Land Surveyors, decisions
were made for reproduction and transfer of the records, which was accomplished
in August, 1978.
— All Rights Reserved
Oklahoma Department of Libraries