The Literacy Resource Office (LRO) of the Oklahoma Department of Libraries
(ODL) assists local literacy programs in a number of ways. The office
has four staff members and offers literacy support services. Resources
• Toll-free Phone: You may call locally 405–522–3205,
or toll-free within the state 800–522–8116, option 4. The
phone is answered from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
• Quarterly Newsletter: LRO writes and distributes Literacy
Notes, a free newsletter about literacy events in Oklahoma. Persons
wishing to be on the mailing list should contact the office at the numbers
• Literacy Grants: When funding is available, ODL offers
Community Literacy Grants. Visit the Grant
Opportunities page for more information.
• Speakers: Based on availability, LRO can provide or
arrange speakers any place in the state, on any subject related to literacy.
• Print Materials: Brochures, bookmarks, certificates,
posters, and flyers are often available free to Oklahoma literacy programs.
• Lending Library: LRO maintains a collection of informational
resources on topics including family literacy, English language learning, workplace
literacy, learning disabilities, GED, volunteer management, etc. These materials
are available for check out by Oklahoma literacy programs.
• Adult Learner Handbook: This publication, featuring
photos of Oklahoma literacy programs, is helpful for use with new learners,
either during orientations or individual meetings with tutors. It provides
learners with an idea of what to expect while working with literacy programs.
The handbook may also
be downloaded from LRO's publications area.
• The Literacy Resource Manual: This 162-page handbook
is intended to be a resource for literacy programs in the state of Oklahoma.
It provides information about organizing and managing a literacy program, contact
information for programs throughout the state, and suggestions for further
resources. The manual
can be downloaded from LRO's publications area.
To contact staff of the Literacy Resource Office, use ODL's Staff
Contact Form or Department