About Archives Month and Participation
Why should your organization participate in Archives Month?
Archives, museums, historical societies, libraries, tribal
organizations, and other groups with historical and archival collections
are invited to participate in Archives Month by scheduling an
event, activity or exhibit to highlight the collections in your institution. We hope
the theme—Images of Oklahoma—will complement any programs
you may have already planned.
Participation in Archives Month activities offers many
benefits to your organization. Through our combined efforts we will be
- Increase the general awareness of archival materials and institutions,
- Focus attention upon materials in archival centers,
- Encourage persons and organizations with records of enduring value
to properly preserve those materials, and
- Strengthen ties with regular archives users while introducing new
and potential users to archives.
How do you participate?
Archives Month is a great opportunity to showcase your
collection. Some suggested ideas that encompass a variety of budgets
and staff participation, include:
- Display the official Archives Month poster. Oklahoma museums, libraries,
and historical societies should receive them by the first week of October.
The poster (featured
on this section's homepage) is usually available
for download in a full-sized
or scaled-down version.
- Hold an open house and provide tours through your facility, highlighting
unique materials, or arrange for public visits to nearby repositories.
- Hold a lunchtime reception with a featured speaker on the importance
of preserving archival records.
- Send press releases to local media, including a description of your
materials; an article using research from your collection; or photographs
of interesting items in your collection.
- Contact local government officials, organizations, and educators
informing them of Archives Month. Offer to speak about your collection
and what resources in your collection could be useful to them.
- Create a display or website, exhibiting some of your materials in
The Archives Month/Week Program Information
If you plan an activity, exhibit or event and would like
it publicized through the Archives Month website, please fill out the Archives
Month/Week Program Information Form.
For questions, please
contact Jan Davis at (405) 522-3191
Return to Previous
- All Rights Reserved
Oklahoma Department of Libraries